The M&CLC’s 2021 Reporters’ Workshop Web Series
We are happy to report that thanks to Craig Waters and our friends at the Supreme Court our revamped Reporters’ Workshop is here! The original Reporters’ Workshop was a long-standing tradition for a select group of print, TV, radio and online journalists new to the courts and legal beats or new to Florida. They would spend two days in Tallahassee learning about covering high-profile cases, public records and Florida’s open government laws, libel law and defamation, lawyer regulation, and other current and relevant issues surrounding legal reporting.
Things are different now and the Reporters’ Workshop has become the Reporters’ Workshop Web Series and the first session of the series, Covering Trials After a Pandemic, is Thursday, May 27.
The webinar, Covering Trials After a Pandemic will touch on public information, document access, and understanding current rules, restrictions and available technology. It also will feature a panel discussion with veteran reporters and court communicators on how to engage viewers and readers with lively court coverage. This session will teach reporters how to navigate the new and changing landscape of courts coverage.
Please spread the word about this event to every journalist you know. Because it’s virtual, we do not have to limit the number of participants. There is a graphic attached that you can share and the links to the Bar web page and the Zoom registration are below.
The Florida Bar Reporters’ Workshop page: https://www.floridabar.org/news/resources/reporters-workshop/
Zoom registration link: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_7QtdGUleQOuLILiLoyzCxQ
Panelists for the Covering Trials After a Pandemic session are:
- Tara Green, Clay County Clerk of Court, president of the Florida Clerks of Court & Comptrollers
- John Kennedy, Capitol reporter, Gannett
- Troy Kinsey, Capitol reporter, Bay News 9 and News 13
- Tricia Knox, deputy director, Florida Supreme Court Communications Office
- Sara Miles, public information officer (PIO), Twentieth Judicial Circuit and president, Florida Courts Public Information Officers
- David Ovalle, reporter, The Miami Herald
- Eunice Sigler, PIO, Eleventh Judicial Circuit
- Dori Foster-Morales, attorney and president of The Florida Bar
- Erica White (moderator), general counsel, Office of the State Courts Administrator, Media & Communications Law Committee member
Please register and join the event Thursday, May 27 at 11 AM.